Medically Reviewed by Dr. Rachel N. Verville
June 3, 2013
Donning flip-flops to enjoy warm weather? Follow these dos and don’ts!
- Do shop for a flip-flop made of high-quality, soft leather. Leather minimizes the potential for blisters and other types of irritation.
- Do gently bend the flip-flop from end to end, ensuring it bends at the ball of the foot. Shoes of any kind should never fold in half.
- Do ensure that your foot doesn’t hang off of the edge of the flip-flop.
- Do wear a sturdy pair of flip-flops when walking around a public pool, at the beach, in hotel rooms and in locker room areas. Walking barefoot can expose foot soles to plantar warts and athlete’s foot.
- Don’t re-wear flip-flops year after year. Inspect older pairs for wear. If they show signs of severe wear, discard them.
- Don’t ignore irritation between toes, where the toe thong fits. This can lead to blisters and possible infections.
- Don’t wear flip-flops while walking long distances. Even the sturdiest flip-flops offer little in terms of shock absorption and arch support.
- Don’t do yard work while wearing flip-flops. Always wear a shoe that fully protects feet when doing outside activities such as mowing the lawn or using a weed-eater.
- Don’t play sports in flip-flops. This practice can lead to twisting of the foot or ankle, as well as sprains and breaks.
Finally, look for flip-flops that hold APMA’s Seal of Acceptance. These products are shown to allow for the most normal foot function and promote quality health.
© 2012 American Podiatric Medical Association, Inc. All rights reserved